Breaking News for Health Care Informatics Initiative
Among the several new significant developments for the Center’s health IT initiative highlights include:
- The Washington Health Care Authority (HCA) designating Bellevue College as the Lead Organization for state ARRA initiatives in the area of “Information Technology Professionals in Health Care”. This responsibility can include health informatics curricula development; student recruitment and retention and establishing a bridge program to a university.
- The federal Department of Health & Human Services, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology issued a Funding Opportunity Announcement on November 25th.
- The Center and HCA are working on consortium building, and the application, on behalf of Washington’s CTC’s; 11 Washington CTC’s participated in Healthcare Informatics curriculum training November 17 -18, 2009 at Bellevue College.
- With the curriculum for the 18-credit health IT certificate for dislocated IT workers complete, three colleges begin implementing all or part of the 18-credit Healthcare Informatics curriculum in winter quarter 2010.
- Three colleges are offering the new health IT certificate program in winter quarter with one additional college planned for summer 2010.
- Six WA CTC’s are using the OIT Electronic Medical Record Simulation Laboratory in winter quarter
- Four WA state colleges are being included in Bellevue College’s federal health IT grant proposal.