Opportunities for Women in Tech
Despite the ongoing conversation (opens in a new window) about the need for more diversity in tech, women continue to be underrepresented in the field and often face an uphill battle for their skills and talents to be recognized. Many women pursuing careers in technology face barriers at every stage of their career development, from earning a degree to landing a job at a company that values their contributions and growth.
Recent statistics (opens in a new window) show that women hold only a quarter of computing jobs, despite making up about half of the total workforce.
However, there are clear economic and organizational benefits to companies that commit to diversity in their workforce. Data from McKinsey (opens in a new window) shows that diverse companies can hire and retain better employees and perform better overall.
Here are a couple upcoming events and conferences for women in tech:
- Women in Tech Regatta (opens in a new window) – April 19-30, 2021 (Virtual)
- ACT-W (Advancing the Careers of Technical Womxn) (opens in a new window) – July 26-30, 2021 (Virtual)
- Women in CyberSecurity conference (opens in a new window) – September 8-10, 2021
- Grace Hopper Celebration (opens in a new window) – September 26-29, 2021 (Virtual)
Information Technology faculty at Washington’s community and technical colleges can apply for funding to support their participation in these and other events. Applications are open (opens in a new window) through April 9, 2021 for conferences taking place in 2021.
Student scholarship opportunities:
- Palantir Women in Technology Scholarship (opens in a new window) – applications due April 1, 2021
- Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (opens in a new window) – due June 4, 2021 for Fall 2021