Resources for Women in Technology
In celebration of Women’s History Month, we want to highlight the many opportunities for women in technology. Companies are increasingly recognizing the importance (opens in a new window) of hiring and developing women in information technology roles. In recent years, some of the largest tech firms (opens in a new window) have hired and retained more women in tech positions than ever before.
According to JobsEQ by Chmura (opens in a new window) , there are currently more than 25,000 open technology jobs in Washington – ranging from software development to computer support to information security, and many more.
How to Get Started in a Tech Career
There are 30 colleges in the Washington State Community and Technical College system that offer IT degrees, certificates and upskilling opportunities. If you are a high school student or working professional looking for a career change, your local community or technical college can jump-start your IT career or help you advance in your current position.
Associate degrees are offered in some of the most in-demand fields including:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Network Infrastructure Technology
- Robotics and Artificial Intelligence
- Web Application Programming Technology
Certificate programs that can quickly get your skills up to speed and prepare you to be job-ready:
- Cloud Architecture and Services
- Cisco Networking Academy
- Database Analyst
- User Interface Specialist
- Web Content Management
For a complete list of Washington state community and technical colleges offering IT degrees and certificate programs, please see our IT Program Guide (opens in a new window) .
Resources for Women Interested in Technology Careers:
- Tech Ladies (opens in a new window) connects you with the best jobs and opportunities in tech.
- Women Who Code Seattle (opens in a new window) inspires women to excel in technology careers.
- New Tech Northwest (opens in a new window) gets you connected and engaged with the Pacific Northwest tech community.
- TAGNW (opens in a new window) offers community groups and Meetups in Northwest Washington.
- Grace Hopper Celebration (opens in a new window) – annual conference for women technologists
- Women in Tech Regatta (opens in a new window) – Seattle-based career development event
- Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (opens in a new window) for students pursuing high-demand fields including IT